You try to eat right, exercise regularly, and get enough sleep. Why? Because you understand the link between taking good care of your physical health and feeling your best. The same goes for your mental health. You’ll be better positioned to take control of your life—and not let your life control you.
At Dunamis Wellness, we’re here to help you overcome any of life’s challenges that threaten to trip you up, robbing you of peace. Our licensed clinicians and master’s level therapists are eager to help you regain your footing with behavioral health treatment—now available in Redding, CA.
What Is Behavioral Health Treatment?
The objective of behavioral health treatment is to help a person struggling with mental illness or substance abuse disorders to get on the road to recovery. Counseling and psychotherapy are tools used to help one change their behaviors, thoughts, emotions, and how they perceive the world around them. Behavioral health treatment plans may include prescribed medication to manage symptoms. Medication may be used in conjunction with other strategies. This combined treatment can greatly help patients to find significant relief from symptoms associated with mental illness and equip them to recover from substance abuse disorders. Early treatment is best, and only a highly-trained professional can perform a full evaluation and make a diagnosis.
Behavioral Health vs. Mental Health
Although you may hear people use these two terms interchangeably, it’s vital that you understand the differences between behavioral health and mental health. Why? Because diagnosing and treating psychological issues is a complex process. And treatment and managing symptoms related to each—behavioral versus mental health—will require specific approaches. Dunamis Wellness focuses on specialized treatment tailored to each client’s unique diagnosis.
To understand the subtle differences between behavioral health and mental health, think of it like this:
- Behavioral health—relates to the behaviors or actions, that a person displays. It’s how they respond to a situation
- Mental health—encompasses thoughts and feelings, with biological factors often influencing a person’s mental state
Common Mental Health Disorders
Here’s a few common mental health disorders:
Having a mental health disorder does not mean that a person will automatically develop a behavioral disorder. But when a behavior becomes distinct and ongoing as a direct result of a mental health disorder—and has a negative effect—it may be viewed as a behavioral disorder and will likely require more specific treatment.
Common Behavioral Disorders
Here’s a few common behavioral disorders:
- Substance Abuse—19.7 million American adults experienced a substance abuse disorder in 2017. The disorder often begins when a person misuses alcohol or drugs in an attempt to self-medicate or cope with problems and stress
- Self-Injury—self-directed violence may include self-biting or cutting, head banging, and suicide attempts
- Eating Disorders—may include anorexia, bulimia, and binge eating. Anorexia nervosa has a very high mortality rate in comparison to other mental disorders
- Gambling Addiction—compulsive gambling is a serious condition and can affect the brain similar to the way drugs or alcohol can
Behavioral Health Treatment Available in Redding, CA
At Dunamis Wellness, we are experts in the field of mental health treatment options, including behavioral health. Our compassionate providers can diagnosis, treat, and answer any questions you might have about your mental health or behavioral health issues.
Clinical treatment options available include:
- Individual Counseling (psychotherapy)—you’ll work one-on-one with a therapist in a safe environment
- Addiction & Recovery—partner with a substance abuse counselor and support system to help you modify behaviors to make a full recovery from drug and alcohol problems, eating disorders, and similar behavioral issues
- Stress Management—you’ll learn healthy, effective coping mechanisms to deal with psychological stress
At Dunamis Wellness, our experienced providers understand you may feel overwhelmed at the thought of starting therapy. Rest assured—we’ll take all the time needed to address your concerns, explain what treatment options are available, find a plan that works best for your comfort level and lifestyle, and work with you side-by-side in achieving your goal of good mental health and overall well-being.
With three convenient locations in Redding, Chico, and Carmel, CA, as well as telehealth options, Dunamis Wellness is easy to find and excited to offer behavioral health treatment options to anyone ready to make a positive change in their life. Contact us today and let’s start this journey together!